Monday, June 14, 2010

My new fireplace!



A lot of the gals in my camping group have been talking about putting fireplaces in their vintage campers...you know the ones, little electric, fake fireplaces that give off heat and ambiance!

Well, today I found the perfect fireplace for my 1959 Winnebago...and it was only $5.96!! The Salvation Army Store, my favorite shopping place, was able to provide me with just what I needed!! There is a little switch to turn on/off the red bulb that simulates the "fire"!! And the electric clock is working and keeping accurate time, although it sounds like it is sending Morse code signals as it ticks along...the sweep second hand moving smoothly, thanks to the miracle of electricity!!

I need to do a little research to find out how old it is....I suspect the late forty's, maybe early fifty's...it says "Manufactured Exclusively by the United Clock" Corp. Brooklyn, New York and the lettering has that vintage look!! If anyone has seen one of these before..let me know, I am curious about it!! I laid the modern night light next to it, to give you a idea of scale...it uses a little bulb like that light.

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny! My sister (Linda) and I saw one just like it at an antique store in Spokane over FC weekend. It was more then $5.96!!! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in 1953 and my mom had one just like that in her bedroom. I used to try and place with it all the time. Sure brings back lots of warm memories. Great find!

    ReplyDelete