Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"For Mizzou Fans Only"




Strange things happen when seeing random posts on Facebook! I have found this to be true almost 98.9% of the time. These posting encourage me to do things that otherwise seem unthinkable!

And I am not referring to all those games that people play..mafia wars, farmville, and whatever the latest craze....I don't play, because I love Facebook just to stay caught up on what my "friends" are thinking and doing. The term "Social Networking" sticks in my throat and causes me to gag a bit, however, I suppose that is what we are doing.

So tonight...when I learned on Facebook about the book signing at Tims Pizza from 6pm to 8pm, I called my friend, MK! After all, it was her son, Jeff Barge, a local artist, that posted the invite to come meet author Bill Althaus. Tonight he would be autographing his new books,

"For Mizzou Fans Only" and "For Chiefs Fans Only"

Bill Althaus writes for the Independence Examiner, which has been in publication (according to Wikipedia) since 1898! In fact, Wikipedia noted that the Independence Examiner held the record for the oldest, verified, full time employee. Aubrey Stubbart, worked there until the age of 105!! Must be a wonderful company to work for!!!

This is where it gets a bit strange!! I am not a sports fan, AT ALL!!! I have only been to one Chiefs game since 1978 and my daughter was a Jay Hawk! (women's tennis)
The boys went to college back East. I don't even own any Chiefs apparel (I have a Jayhawks hoodie, but I didn't wear it tonight!)

However I am a HUGE FAN of any thing readable...I love to read and it really doesn't matter the content...I soak it up like a Sham-Wow! And I love to be out and about squeegying- up information!

Of course, I purchased both books and had them autographed to me! To ME, ME, ME!!! And I can't wait to get started reading!! I know I am going to learn so much about the rich history of both teams, it may change my outlook on sports altogether!! Not likely, but I am sure to have some "warm fuzzies" as I see it through Bill's eyes and thoughts. That is what good writing is all about!

And to the kind man standing next to me in line, talking about the extra warm, crowded room.....I truly did not know you were the editor of the Independence Examiner!! I just now saw your pic on the newspaper's blog and will admit I am deeply embarrassed that I gave you my card and invited you to my blog!! It is certainly a good thing I have a day job....I think I may have just blown any chance of ever "having my own column someday!!!" LOL Good thing there is blogspot.com!!!

However, if you want to read what I think is some of my best work, please go to
my blog archives and look at August 9, 2009, "A Roaring River Runs Through It".

Click on the Grooveshark link (to the right) for the Fight Song!

No comments:

Post a Comment