Saturday, December 26, 2009

Snowy Day in "Perrydise"



The snow is beautiful, but be careful what you wish for! I wished and dreamed of a White Christmas and look what happened!!! And I was hoping to get "snowed in" and sure enough here we are! Drove over yesterday, late afternoon and got here without mishap. Then as we turned to go up the final hill to the cabin, we drove right into a snow drift that was at least 4 feet deep!!! It was beautiful but cold!! The wind was howling off the Lake. The wind chill felt like five degrees below zero!

Doc and I made one trip walking up the hill to the cabin bringing supplies from the truck! After one trip, we were winded, tired and very cold. We rested for a while to warm up and plan our next move. We then attempted to dig the SUV out but that was futile at best. We again rested and began thinking, thinking....Doc decided the only reasonable, safe thing to do was call a tow truck to pull us out....he called three tow services, no answer! (imagine that, on a snowy Christmas Day!)

We heard a sound and "when,what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer"

Well, it wasn't a sleigh but a tow truck, "with a little old driver, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick"

"He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf, And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself! A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread"

"He spoke not a word but went straight to his work"

He quickly pulled us out and drove off before Doc could give him some cash he had hastily pulled from his wallet.
"But I heard him exclaim, "ere he drove out of sight, Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!"


With complete and utmost credit and respect to Clement Clark Moore ( 1779-1863) the author of this beautiful poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment