Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire?!



I wish I could say that roasting chestnuts was an old family tradition..but the truth is, we have only done it a couple of times. I am not sure why so rarely, because they are delicious!

We are packing for our Halloween "campout" at Perry Lake. Actually, we are "camping" in those cute little "trailer home/cabin/rustic shed" or whatever you would call them. I call them darling, warm, clean and comfortable!!! Complete with a queen size log bed with a very comfy mattress!!!

My husband did the grocery shopping today..and he is always adventurous and daring in the kitchen or over an open fire! He bought all sorts of delicious, fun things to eat. These chestnuts really caught my interest.

I googled a few websites to refresh my memory on a "chestnut roasting technique". The most important tip..you MUST cut a slit or X in each nut before you roast it, so the steam can escape and the whole nut won't explode! (and "put your eye out", but I digress..that is another Christmas movie! Comment, please, if you know which one!!! LOL)

Put the chestnuts in a pan that has holes in the bottom. Or if you use a skillet or flat pan be prepared to flip them over several times. Even in the open grid-type pan, you should flip them a little, for even roasting. No oil is necessary..they will steam in their own natural moisture.

Now, build your fire and when the flames have died down and you have that really hot bed of coals, place the pan over the embers, not directly on. Roast for about 25 minutes...then let sit for 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to burn your fingers, let them cool enough to peel the shell/skin back and remove the nut. Yummy!!! A glass of red wine or apple cider goes nicely.

It is a little early for Christmas music..but I had to throw in
"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire......"click on the Grooveshark link
"And I really hope Jack Frost is not nipping at your nose" on Halloween night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment