Sunday, August 16, 2009

Honeysuckle Rose



"Honeysuckle Rose" was filmed in 1980, starring Willie Nelson, Dyan Cannon, Amy Irving and Slim Pickens. Hard to believe it was almost 30 years ago! Willie is timeless, never changes, except maybe his hair has grown even longer. Hard to tell with the braid he wears.

I am a true blue Willie fan. I grew up listening to the old country stuff...my dad enjoyed Willie, Johnny Cash and a lot of the old country music. He and his brother, Bud, would get out their guitars, pickin' and strummin' to the best of their ability. They had a good time, always trying to out play the other. Then my brother, RB started to play but his choice was more of the blues to rock genre. He was in a band, so we got our eardrums blown out on a regular basis.

In fact, Memorial Day when we talked, he told me of his latest band and the gig they were playing in Illinois.( seems funny to say that!) By day a corporate manager, by night a musician! I totally approve and hope I get to hear them soon.

Back to Willie! A few years ago, Doc and I heard Willie at Starlight in Kansas City.
It was a beautiful, hot summer night. I had gone all out and blown the budget with third row center seats. ( and this was before we had our ticket/travel business, so no commission paid to us!) I decided I may never get to see Willie again in concert, and I wanted to savor the experience. Doc was reluctant to go. He had seen Willie, 20 years ago at an outdoor concert in southern Illinois and he unpleasant memories of that concert. In fact, he flat out said it "Stunk".

Being a great husband, he finally agreed to go to the concert. In fact, worrying about my safety, there was no way he was letting me go down there alone.

We had a super time. Even Doc agreed that Willie gave a great concert. He is really a talented musician! I know his voice is rough, but his stage presence and guitar picking makes up for it. The band was just terrific. His harmonica man is outrageous, such a great performer. At one point I yelled, "I love you, Willie" and held up my drink in a toast. I swear to you, he looked right at me and smiled!!! I didn't want the concert to end, but eventually the next band appeared ( I guess maybe Willie was sort of the back up to that band, as blasphemous as that may sound) I don't even remember who the band was, we left after Willie performed. He was who I had come to see. We bought my Whiskey River bandana and headed home.

Willie, I know you are wrong in many ways. You shouldn't smoke pot, you should probably cut your hair and I am sorry to say but you must be pretty old by now.

But Willie....I love you and I think you are sexy! ( ugh..my husband is laughing, he can't believe I find Willie sexy....but I do...must be the music!)

"On the Road Again"

No comments:

Post a Comment