Thursday, July 23, 2009

Perry Yacht Club Fund Raiser!



Hi! We were at a wine tasting tonight in Brookside (Kansas City, Missouri) About 50 people from Perry Yacht Club......a fund raiser for the Junior Sailing Program, a worthy program!!!

I don't remember what we tasted, but it was all really good and the company was even better!

I hope they raised a lot of money!

My children all participated while growing up in a Junior Sailing Program. These programs teach more then sailing ....they teach self confidence and team participation skills......all helpful in adult life. I can't even begin to count the hours spent in boats, watching, helping, wringing my hands, when the kids were young.
Some parents enjoyed following their kids around in motor boats, shouting instructions, tips etc. I didn't know how to sail and the kids were thankful, I think!!! I was reduced to saying things like.."just do the best you can!!!"And, the famous, "it doesn't matter if you win"....( yeah, right MOM!)

And of course, there was the summer I taught them to water ski...I didn't know how but I had seen it done! My instruction? " Just hang on!" It surely didn't help that I was just learning to drive the boat that summer..I had seen that done too and I was pretty sure I could imitate! After I hit a few docks and tangled up the stern lines in the prop, I got the hang of it!

As you see, confidence has never been a problem, but perhaps over confidence might be!!!!

Back to the wine tasting! Sure was nice!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment