Wednesday, July 1, 2009

An important document...the Declaration of Independence

Doc and I were driving to Perry Lake yesterday, pulling my red and white trailer. We stopped at CVS so I could run in and buy some necessities for a fun 4th of July weekend. Some sunscreen, mosquito spray and extra flags, red, white and blue banners, you know what I mean!!!!

When I got back in the car ( Doc's Island Time Travel Taxi), I realized I had shopped too long!!!
Doc had waited in the car and wanted to talk politics when I hopped in.

We discussed the writers of that important document, the "Committee of Five" and their commitment to our freedom and our country. They recognized that this would be an important day in the history of our Country and would be forever celebrated.

I admit, I have forgotten a lot of history I learned as a child, and often am more focused on the grill and fireworks, then in the true meaning of our celebration.

A quick review:
4th of July: Commemorates the adoption of The Declaration of Independence July 1776
During the American Revolution the legal separation of the American Colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776.
The Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence. It had been proposed by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia in June 1776.
The statement explaining this decision, made by the " Committee of Five" was written with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author.
Congress debated and revised the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4, 1776.

And now we get to celebrate 4th of July!!!!!

So go eat a hamburger and enjoy!!!!! I already feel better just remembering what brought us to this important day!!!! How about you???

No comments:

Post a Comment